Good bye!

The Orchestra Academy Ossiach wishes a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year! Alas, the Orchestra Academy Ossiach will not be continued in 2014. We thank our loyal audience and hope for an early reunion!

Please do not apply!

Alas, the OAO will close with the end of the year. For now! Thanks to all applicants for your interest!



The collegiate church was originally built around the year 1000 as a pillared Romanesque basilica. Documented for the first time in 1028, it is considered to be the oldest Benedictine monastery church in Carinthia. 65 abbots were recorded in the order's chronicles from the beginning of the 11th century, until the monastery's abolition by Emperor Joseph II in 1783. Following a major fire in 1484, the entire church was rebuilt in late Gothic style. The richly decorated winged altar, now in the Gothic chapel but originally in the church's main nave, also dates from around this time. Between 1737 and 1746 the house of God was almost completely renovated in the Baroque style. Particularly outstanding is the stucco work by the Wessobrunn School, which was formative in the decoration of sacred buildings throughout southern Europe. The frescoes by Carinthian artist J. F. Fromiller, the Baroque organ dating from 1680 and the richly decorated Baroque chancel are also worthy of note. The grave of the Polish king Boleslaus, who joined the order anonymously as a simple pilgrim in 1081, and only revealed his true identity on his deathbed, is on the north side of the church. The legend goes that after the murder of Stanislaus, Bishop of Cracow, the king chose monastery life as a self-imposed penance. A watch tower and mighty outer walls were erected in the 15th century as protection against the Turkish invasions. In the years following abolition of the monastery it became dilapidated and was on the verge of collapse. It was not until 1965 that restoration of the entire monastery site and collegiate church commenced, and was completed in 1975. Between 2006 and 2009 it was turned into a music academy and the Alban Berg concert hall was added.